As a visual artist and a writer it weighs heavily on my mind every holiday season what my Ghost Parachute covers should say or do or evoke or show. Because I can’t forget what’s happening.
This holiday season, while you eat your turkeys, your hams, your roasts, nibble on chocolate chips, sugar cookies, gingerbread, sip your eggnog and rum, your sweet tea, your cider, your red wine, there are still thousands of children unlawfully separated from their families, there’s toddlers without legal representation standing before judges, there’s a camp on the other side of the Mexican border where thousands have to share a mere five toilets, and we have not held our administration accountable—hell, we haven’t even held ourselves accountable.
So speak the hell up. Don’t forget about what’s going on. Pester your representatives. Challenge your relatives’ and friends’ views to just “let it go” or “be a little merrier,” because so many in this country and at the border do not have the option and do not have a voice.
And of course, donate to organizations providing legal aid to immigrants:
- Lawyers for Good Government – https://www.lawyersforgoodgovernment.org/
- Save the Children– savethechildren.org
- Kids in Need of a Defense – https://supportkind.org/
- RAICES– raicestexas.org
- Women’s Refugee Commission – https://www.womensrefugeecommission.org/about
- Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights – https://www.theyoungcenter.org/